While agendas and attendee lists are standard mobile app elements now, new features are always being created. The top features considered most important in 2016, in a study done by CrowdCompass and EMI, confirm the importance of networking and participant feedback in live events.
With 224 million monthly active app users in the US, (Source: Search Engine Journal) don’t lose out on the opportunity to engage these users. Furthermore, 85% of people prefer native mobile apps to mobile websites, and smartphone users spend 89% of their mobile media time using mobile apps according to Go-Globe.
What Does Mobile Do For Me?
Event apps are a great multipurpose tool to both enhance the participant experience and provide insightful information to the host. Below are advantages for both the attendee and host.
- Keep all information in one place, no paper to sort through and carry
- Wayfinding or directional guidance
- Automated check-in and badge printing = shorter lines
- Lead exchange/tracking/networking during and outside the event
- CEU tracking
- Gamification/scavenger hunts for prizes
- Local events data provided
- Special deals/promotions
- Idea submission for discussion topics
- Participate in polls
- Reminders about nearby sessions
- Plan out your day
- Provide Feedback
- Quick Access to customer service and concierge amenities
- Be engaged in conversations before, during and after the event
- Helps sustainability by going paperless
- Ensures your people are finding their way
- Queue management
- Exhibit booth dwell time
- Automated CEU tracking = no manual tracking
- Enhanced attendee engagement
- Generate revenue with sponsored advertisements (but don’t be annoying!)
- Crowdsourcing content topics
- Increase session attendance
- Provides consistent branding that builds knowledge and enthusiasm
- Elevates the brand as relevant and sophisticated
- Receive instant feedback (no survey tallying)
- Information security: based on attendee credentials/passwords
- Use data to enhance your event and make it better year after year
OK, So How Do You Roll Out a Mobile App?
Promote, Promote, Promote. Encourage adoption of the app before, during and after the event to maximize the visibility and usefulness of the mobile event app.
- Short unique name, easy to remember
- Promote on event website
- Highlight during registration OR enable registration on the app
- Reinforce the value to participant (see grid!)
- Help desk available
- Speaker reminders
- Housekeeping notes
- Train event staff to provide app assistance
- Reinforce the value for attendees, again! This includes gamification and networking opportunities
- Downloadable content
- Continued discussion boards
To learn more about utilizing apps for your meeting or event, visit our EventAPP™ page.